Rules Governing Public Behavior on Library Premises
The mission of the Irvington Public Library is to be the cultural and educational resource center for residents of the Township of Irvington and its neighboring communities.
- Users of the library must respect the rights and privileges of all other users. Any behavior which inhibits the use of the library by others is prohibited.
- Improper conduct on library premises is prohibited. Conduct will be regarded as improper if it includes one or more of the following:
- Creating a public disturbance.
- Using obscene or abusive language.
- Sexual activities and or lewd behavior of any kind including viewing pornography.
- Threatening the staff or other library users, either verbally or physically.
- Mutilating, damaging, or defacing any library property or library material.
- Eating or drinking except in the library's café.
- Using, buying or selling alcohol, narcotics, hallucinogens, cocaine or other illegal substances.
- Intoxication including displaying behavior leading to suspicion of intoxication.
- Loitering, i.e., sitting or standing idly about, sleeping, or lingering aimlessly.
- Blocking other users from entering the library.
- Viewing or listening to technology related devices, gadget or equipment which might be disturbing to other library users.
- Gambling, card-playing or playing other games of chance.
- Carrying illegal weapons, knives and sharp objects.
- Users of the library are expected to maintain an acceptable standard of personal hygiene. Unpleasant body odor, which may offend other library users, is considered unacceptable. Shoes must be worn; bare feet are not permitted; no sagging and or exposing of underwear; no masks, hats or skullcaps.
- No one shall leave children unattended on library premises.
- No one shall obstruct, annoy, molest, hinder, threaten, insult or interfere with any person legally using the library nor shall anyone make or cause any loud, disturbing or offensive outbursts/noises or remarks in and upon the grounds and premises of the library.
- No one shall sell or distribute any item on library premises. Campaigning for political elections, soliciting contributions or signatures for petitions, and conducting surveys are prohibited.
- Photographs shall not be taken on library premises without the permission of the library administration and the permission of all library users to be photographed.
- All library materials must be checked out in accordance with established procedures before being taken from library premises.
- All briefcases, handbags, notebooks, carry-alls, overcoats, luggage, packages, and shopping bags are subject to inspection by the library's authorized personnel.
- Library staff may request users to show their library cards or other appropriate identification.
- Animals, with the exception of Irvington K-9 unit or guide dogs for visually impaired persons, are not permitted in the library.
- Bicycles shall not be brought into the library.
- All sections of the Township Code Chapter 133 shall be enforced by library employees or representative.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE LIBRARY'S ESTABLISHED RULES MAY RESULT IN EXPULSION FROM LIBRARY PREMISES AND/OR SUSPENSION OF LIBRARY PRIVILEGES OR MAY RESULT IN A FINE OR IMPRISONMENT OR BOTH AS SET FORTH IN THE IRVINGTON TOWNSHIP CODE CHAPTER 133.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 03/30/2013