Notary Public Service Policy
The Irvington Public Library adheres to the highest standards of competence and responsibility in providing notary public services.
· It is recommended that customers seeking Notary Service call the Library prior to their visit to ensure that a Notary is available at that time. The Library can be reached by calling (973) 372-6400.
· Notary Service is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
· Fees for notary service are:
Administering oath/affirmation $2.50 ea
Taking an acknowledgment $2.50 ea
· Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
· Notaries Public in this library shall never notarize any signature without the maker of the signature first appearing personally before the notary.
· Notaries Public in this library shall correctly maintain a notary journal of all notarial acts they perform.
· The Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
· Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
· New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
· Notary Service is not available for Deeds, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils or Depositions.
· Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
· In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Approved by the Board of Trustees
Effective Date: October 19, 2006